The cake was to feed around 42 people and my sponge cake shrunk from the sides of the cake tin so I couldn't chop off the sides too much. After much consideration, I edited the photo to take LR's name out of the pic for privacy reasons.
It's actually a chiffon cake recipe, but I think a butter cake would have been much better in terms of holding its shape when it comes out of the oven. Thanks VPV for the cream recipe. Will be doing something for my niece's 4th birthday coming up on 17th November.
4 egg whites
280gm icing sugar
120ml fresh milk
- Cream the butter for about 1/2 hour or until the butter is pale yellow and has doubled in volume.
- Sift half of the icing sugar into the butter.
- Combine fresh milk and the remaining icing sugar until the sugar partially dissolves.
- Slowly add the fresh milk mixture into the butter, creaming well after each addition.
- In a greasefree bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the butter mixture until thoroughly combined.
- The recipe is enough to be sandwiched between a 30cm x 40cm cake and to cover the cake as well.