Sunday, August 12, 2007

Jelly Lollies

My sister saw this tempting dessert in one of my cookbooks and asked me to make it about 3 months ago. Being short of agar-agar at the time, I told her "next time". It looked like childsplay so I thought I would give it a go but either looks are deceiving or my substitution backfired.

Ingredients:
600ml water
50gm sugar
1 1/2 tbsps agar-agar powder
a few drops of red and blue colouring

250gm sugar
2-3 drops of water

Method:
  1. Boil the water, 50gm sugar, agar-agar powder until the agar-agar powder is dissolved.
  2. Add blue colouring to the agar-agar mixture and pour into a ball-shaped agar-agar mould.
  3. Add red colouring to the remaining agar-agar mixture and pour into another ball-shaped agar-agar mould.
  4. Unmould jelly balls and skewer three or four together.
  5. In a saucepan, melt the sugar.
  6. Using a metal spoon, take a spoonful of caramelized sugar and let it drizzle onto the skewered jelly balls while spinning the skewers between your fingers so that the sugar is spun around the jelly balls.
Note: I substituted sugar for maltose from original recipe taken from Y3K Fancy Cakes & Jellies. The original recipe calls for 200gm sugar, 50g maltose (mak ngar thong), pinch of salt, 6 tbsps water. Boil the ingredients together and glaze the jelly with the syrup.

I didn't have any maltose, hence my substitution. Bad bad move. Because 3 hours later, the caramel absorbed moisture from the jelly and started to melt. So I had to eat it all instead of giving some to my sister.

No comments: