Sunday, August 12, 2007

Another coconut milk dessert

Another soupy, coconut milk dessert. I know, I know, it's bad for the cholesterol levels and fat content but it is a dessert that I have been wanting to do but I couldn't get my hands on some alkaline water.

Instead of alkaline water, my mum bought me some alkaline rocks and then I didn't know how much of the rocks to how much part of water so I basically powdered up the rock a little bit and used about 3 pinheads size crumbs to 1/4 tsp of water. My first batch, with the alkaline water tasted soap-suddy - i guess it was too much alkaline water. That went into the bin, I don't think that even my dog will eat it. So I just omitted it in the second batch, and it tasted fine. All that hassle and wait, and the alkaline water was just not worth it!

Chendol is something that I always look forward to when I go back to Malaysia, especially the stall in Kuala Pilah. Most of them are sold by indians, on roadsides. But come to think of it, we put our health in danger when eating from those roadside chendol stalls because most often, the bowl which we eat off is rinsed off in a bucket of water that the stall-holder has rinsed off his previous customers' bowls in. Yuck!

Chendol

Ingredients:
(A)
100gm cornflour
20gm hoen kwuen flour (mung bean flour)
20gm wheat starch (tang mein fun)
11 blades of pandan leaves
4 1/2 cups of water
(B)
350gm palm sugar (gula melaka)
150gm sugar
1 cup water
1 blade pandan leave, knotted.
(C)
400ml coconut milk
3 cups water
1 tsp salt

Method:
  1. Blend water and pandan leaves together. Extract the pandan water.
  2. Mix all the flour with the pandan water.
  3. Strain into a non-stick saucepan.
  4. Bring the mixture in the saucepan to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. The mixture will coagulate and thicken into a pastey mixture and start bubbling. Turn off the stove but keep on stirring for a minute or two.
  5. Transfer all the mixture into chendol mould, or a colander with small holes or a steamer with small holes. Place the mould/colander/steamer over a big bowl of iced water.
  6. Push the chendol mixture through the holes and it should go through the holes and drop into the iced water.
  7. Bring all of ingredients (B) to a boil and allow sugars to melt. Leave to cool.
  8. Bring all of ingredients (C0 to a boil. Leave to cool.
  9. Scoop some chendol, coconut milk into a bowl. Top with gula melaka syrup.
  10. Serve dessert hot or cold. Leave coconut milk in the fridge if you want it cold. Top with shaved ice and evaporated milk if desired.
Note: The 1/4 tsp alkaline water is supposed to make the chendol firmer and springy in texture.

No comments: