Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Something Short and Simple

Thanks to my wonderful sis for giving me a big bunch of avocados and after several weeks, it is finally starting to go really soft. But more importantly, I have to thank her for the other present she's given me - The Magic Bullet. She didn't really intend to give it to me, but it was more a I-was-there-at-the-right-time situation that landed myself a present on my lap.

For weeks, I have seen a huge box lying in her house. Everytime I visit her, I have to step past this damn box that lies in the path of getting from her front door to her living room. One day, she asked me to find a recipe for an avocado milkshake her friends talked about during their holiday. The only info she had was that there was avocado and gula melaka in the drink, so after I found a recipe from google, she thought it would be a great idea to open her parcel that she's received from mail order to make this milkshake. Surprise surprise, there were two sets of 'The Magic Bullet' in the box (a-buy-one-get-one-free scam from telemarketers) and so that's how I scored myself a set.

Anyway, this is the amended recipe. The pics below uses half the recipe and golden syrup as I ran out of gula melaka.

Avocado Thickshake (aka Jus Alpokat)












Ingredients:
1 medium size avocado
1 cup vanilla ice-cream
3/4 - 1 1/4 cup fresh milk (If you want it like a yoghurt, go less milk. If you want it like thickshake, have it in between, if you want it like a normal milkshake, then go more milk.
1/2 tablespoon of thick gula melaka syrup (Malaysian palm sugar) or you can just substitute it with maple syrup although the taste is not as fragrant as that of gula melaka.

Method:
  1. Put the avacado, ice-cream and milk into a blender or 'the magic bullet'.
  2. Pulse the blender, or place it in the magic bullet for 15 seconds.
  3. Swirl the gula melaka syrup on the insides of one tall glass.
  4. Empty the contents of the blender into the glass.
Note:
  • You can also put the gula melaka syrup into the blender with the rest of the ingredients for a more thorough mixture, or if you are lazy like me. But for presentation, the above method does a prettier job.
  • Depending on whether you like small pieces of avocado in your thickshake, you can vary the amount of time in the blender. I personally like mine a bit chunky, like a yoghurt-with-fruit consistency so I only blend mine for about 5 seconds.
  • Jus Alpokat originates from Indonesia and it is usually an avocado milkshake with chocolate milk. But I stumbled across a site (can't remember where) and they were using gula melaka.

No comments: