Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mooncake Festival

I haven't had as much time as I had originally hoped to update my blog. My original aim was to update it every day, then having failed that, I thought every week will suffice. But now, it seems that I am hardly even managing once a fortnight.


Well the mooncake festival is celebrated on the fifteenth of the eighth month in the chinese lunar calendar. There are several stories underlying the mooncakes but the most famous of all is according to chinese history, at around 1368AD. The Chinese distributed mooncakes with secret messages hidden between them and circulated around to all the Chinese. Inside, the messages revealed the Chinese' plan to overthrow their oppressors, the Mongols on the date that we now know as the mid-autumn festival.


Traditionally, mooncakes were baked. But ever-increasing new varieties have evolved and now, there are baked ones, deep-fried ones, snow-skin, savoury, and jelly ones.


No comments: