Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mochi

The process of making mochi is extremely sticky and it is even more so when it comes to washing up - unless you do it properly and use lots of cornflour. My first attempt at doing it sometime last year was disastrous and I thought I'll never ever do it again. But having promised mum that I'll make it for her to try, I gathered up my courage to do it a few weeks ago and as it worked then, I thought I'll do it again.

Mochi

Ingredients:
Pandan Paste (will be covered in another post)
Red Bean Paste (will be covered in another post)

Mochi Skin:
100gm glutinous rice flour
180ml water
50gm sugar
Generous amount of cornflour

Method:
  1. Combine the glutinous rice flour sugar together.
  2. Pour in water and mix until sugar dissolves.
  3. Pour into a microwave container for 30mins, then take it out to mix before returning it into the microwave again.
  4. Repeat step 3 again thrice. The total time that the mixture stays in the microwave is about 2 mins, or until it looks almost translucent.
  5. Generously dust your hands and workbench with cornflour before pouring out the microwaved contents onto the table.
  6. Roll out rounds of red bean or green bean paste.
  7. Take about 1/2 tablespoon of mochi skin, using your fingertips, flatten the piece of dough and place a ball of filling into the mochi.
  8. Wrap mochi.
Note:
  • The mochi skin dough is very very sticky, so generously dust your hands and workbench with cornflour. I cannot stress this enough.

No comments: