Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Colour of Christmas

Been deprived of my decorating set for so long that I decided to make cupcakes - only so that I can decorate them. I went through some websites and found ideas on what to decorate on my cupcakes, and because I couldn't decide which ones I wanted, I ended up with all of them.

Cupcakes
250 gm butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
5 egges
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
370ml milk

Method:
  1. Cream butter and sugar together
  2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Add in vanilla essence and beat well.
  4. Sift the flour and baking powder together.
  5. Add the flour in 3 portions along with the milk, and mix well, starting and finishing off with the flour.
  6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celcius for 20-25 mins.
Glace:
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp boiling water
1 tbsp milk
20gm butter (softened)
  1. Sift icing sugar into a bowl.
  2. Make a well in the centre of the icing sugar and add in butter, and 1 tbsp boiling water.
  3. Stir until well combined.
  4. Add milk and stir until well combined.
  5. If more water is required to acquire the right consistency, then add in some more boiling water and stir.
  6. Colour icing as desired and coat the cupcake tops.
Note: Making the glazing is optional. I only did it because I wanted a coloured surface to place my buttercream decorations. If using this step, place the iced cupcakes into the fridge for 10 mins so the icing glace can harden.

Buttercream:
120gm icing sugar
240gm butter
colouring
  1. Sift icing sugar into a bowl.
  2. Add the butter and beat until the butter achieve a pale ivory colour.
  3. Colour as required and decorate (the fun bit)

No comments: