Friday, February 8, 2008

Junior Cheesecake

No, it is not a small-sized version cheesecake that you give to a toddler, it is actually the name of this baked cheesecake.

I had previously came across cheap 2-pack cream cheese for sale, which still has until May before it expires. So I bought 2 lots. Shortly after, I realised that they were cheap because they no longer sell them in 2-packs anymore. Anyway, so I thought it will not keep as well in the fridge and stupidly, went and placed it in the freezer for 2 months. It was only when I tried using a pack for my muffin toppings (posted earlier last month) that I realised that they were crumbly and grainy in texture. So I jumped on the net and realised my mistake - cream cheese DOES NOT belong in the freezer.

Panic set in and what was I going to do with these three packets? So I frantically searched more web sites and luckily came across on that said that I may be able to salvage it if I use a lot of other full-fat content ingredients. Therefore this cake is rich, but tasty. But prepared to have lots of cream cheese handy.

Junior Cheesecake



Ingredients:
100gm biscuit crumbs (I used Marie biscuits processed through the blender)
50gm castor sugar
100gm butter (melted)
750gm cream cheese
280gm sugar
40gm cornstarch
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup heavy whilpping cream
2 eggs

Method:

  1. Combine the biscuit crumbs, sugar and butter together.
  2. Press the biscuits onto the bottom of a springform pan.
  3. Place into a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes at 180 Celcius.
  4. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool.
  5. In a mixing bowl, beat a third of the cream cheese and a third of the sugar with the cornstarch. Beat for at least 3 mins.
  6. Add the remaining cream cheese and continue to beat, whilst adding the remaining sugar, a bit at a time.
  7. Add the vanilla and cream to the mixture.
  8. Blend in the eggs.
  9. Pour mixture over biscuit base.
  10. Place springform pan back into the oven for 1 hour, in a bain-marie waterbath filled with boiling water
  11. Allow cheesecake to cool and place in fridge overnight.
NB:
  • The mixture that comes out of the oven may appear a bit soft and slightly shaky when moved. However, this is ok. It will firm up overnight.
  • I used raspberry jam as decorations. Dollop raspberry jam every here and there and draw a tail in each dollop before you place the cheesecake into the oven. Or use your own imagination.

No comments: