I wouldn't say lye water dumplings is for everyone. The little morsel of bland rice does not quite constitute as a meal, nor a dessert but dunked in gula melaka (palm sugar) syrup, it justifies the reason for eating the gula melaka on its own.
- Soak 1kg of glutinous rice in water along with one teaspoon of lye water overnight.
- Rinse the glutinous rice with plain water and start wrapping.
- Cook in pressure cooker for 45 mins.
- Take out of pressure cooker and hang to dry.
- Serve with honey / palm sugar syrup / sugar syrup / sugar.
Variations of this dumpling includes placing a ball of red bean paste in the middle.